LAST UPDATED, 9 June 2020
In a fast moving moment of history, distillers around the world have responded to the urgent need for hand sanitisers and have for the most part stopped production and pivoted to making this product.
Australian distillers have also been on the front foot and there has also been coordination by the Australian government and the industry via the Australian Distillers Association to look at supply chain and distribution issues as well.
In some cases they’ve had to re-tool their stills to be able to make the product to the World Health Organisations standards. Note 60% ABV can be used for home use, 80% ABV is medical sanitisation grade and stills need to be configured sometimes to achieve the latter. Not to mention challenges in getting labels done, packaging, small bottles, distribution and the rest. No small feat.
For a few weeks I’ve been tracking this movement via Instagram and was putting a list together when I saw that two Australian Doctors, Drs Ellenberger and Leahy were seeking information on where they could get some via the Australian Gin Appreciation Society Facebook group, so this list is a compilation of their work, contributions by the members and some of my own research.
Due to the fast moving dynamics of the pandemic and the intensity of production, many are working 24 hours a day.
So my advice to you is ONLY contact the distillers if you have an urgent need and live in their local area. Many are only providing to first responders and/or their local community, so please don’t bother them unnecessarily.
Remember, these folks are often doing all this work at cost and halting production of their spirits. So on the other side, we better spend up big with them by way of a thank you!
Our thoughts as always are with those afflicted by the virus, and the hard working medical teams and their support, and all essential workers rising to this incredible challenge.
Apologies in advance for any errors, and please send edits / feedback via the form below. Take care.
Distillers in the Media
Here’s a selection of some the recent press on the topic in Australia:
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation news
- Broadsheet Melbourne article
- Canberra Times article
- For a look at what some Canberra based distilleries are doing in collaboration, along with the local wine industry, and how it’s made, check out this short video news clip.
- Stone Pine Distillery, PRIME 7 TV news
- The Shout article
- Underground Spirits video about it’s production process.
5 Nines Distilling (SA)
- Locally made with SA botanicals this medical grade instant hand sanitiser is available now, stock is limited. Head to our website to get your hands on it!
- Free shipping for orders over $100, can include gin.(NB This can only be shipped to SA metro.)
- Please contact us for special discount pricing for medical or aged care facilities.
36 Short Spirits (SA)
- According to SA Health, hand hygiene is one of the most effective ways of stopping the spread of Covid-19. Due to the current shortage of hand sanitiser, we have taken it upon ourselves as local distillers to start producing an ethanol based hand sanitiser suitable for use not only as a hand sanitiser but also as a general multi-purpose disinfectant.
- We are proud to be able to help assist in the health and safety of our fellow Australians in anyway we can.
- Available in 5 litre bottles, shop our hand sanitiser now with free delivery Australia wide.
Abel Gin Company (TAS)
- Our bulk 2L bottles are being sold at @stillwater_tas for $70 and include an 80ml misting bottle. Pop down to Stillwater Restaurant, Launceston on Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 12 noon to purchase. For those needing larger quantities, please email email@example.com and we can arrange.⠀
Animus Distillery (VIC)
- Animus Distillery Hand sanitiser: $10/100ml available from April 2020 onwards
Anther Distilling (VIC)
- Anther Spirits Sanitiser for Home… from our family to yours.
- Available via our website www.anther.com.au.
Archie Rose (NSW)
- Pre sale, sold out. $20/ 500ml
Banks and Solander (NSW)
- Not yet for sale, currently producing
Bathtub Gin Company (VIC)
- We have limited stock of 700ml bottles $26.00 and 5lt bulk $150 per bottle. So if you need it let me know you can pick it up from Brunswick or we can send it to you with postage.
Bathurst Grange Distillery (NSW)
- Kills 99.9% of germs Fragranced with Lemon Myrtle
- Contains 70% Ethyl alcohol (not to be consumed)
- 500ml bottles available now in our online shop!
Bass and Flinders Distillery (VIC)
- 250ml bottles (sold out currently) but 50ml bottle free with every order until stocks last
Beenleigh Rum (BNE)
- Not available on website currently. Please contact sales team directly.
Big Tree Distillery (VIC)
- Local sales only, Community hand sanitizer dispensing at Woodend Farmers market. BYO containers
Big River Distilling Company (ACT)
- not available for retail sales, supplying to ACT medical professionals and health services.
Bellerine Distillery (VIC)
- local sales only
Black Snake Distillery (NSW)
Boat Rocker Brewer and Distillers (VIC)
- Available for wholesale in 1L and 15L containers
- Not currently available for public sale
Brisbane Distillery Company (QLD)
- Brisbane Distillery Company Hand sanitiser: 20L for $325, 5L for $149, pick-up only.
Brix Distillery (NSW)
- $38.50 for 700ml, limit to 6 bottles per customer
- Tubs up to 25L available – contact directly
- pick up only (order from website) or for bulk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brogan’s Way (VIC)
- You can pick up a bottle direct from our Richmond distillery door.
- 61 North Street, Richmond between 1pm to 7pm tomorrow.
200mL – $10 / 500ml – $23 / 1ltr – $42
Gin* + 500ml – $95
*Royal Blood gin + 500ml – $110
Limited to 1 litre per person. Our hand sanitiser is made to WHO standards.
Brunswick Aces (VIC)
- Hand sanitiser is now available via our online store.
- We have converted our latest batches of both Hearts and Spades blend gin into medical grade hand sanitiser, available in convenient pocket-sized 100ml bottles.
- Following WHO guidelines, we have initially produced 1000 bottles of sanitiser containing 75% ethyl alcohol. Two variants are available, featuring hints of our unique aromatic Spades and Hearts blends botanicals, including Lemon Myrtle, Wattleseed, Juniper and Cardamom.
Buffalovale Distillery (NSW)
- 200ml bottles for sale
- We are also offering 5L containers for local businesses to the distillery.
Bundaberg Rum (QLD)
- Sales details pending, please contact Bundaberg Rum directly:
Cape Byron distillery (NSW)
- ‘Brookies’ Hand Sanitiser: $15 for 500ml
- Option for larger practice orders
Carlton and United Breweries (VIC)
- Have teamed up with Ecolab
- Supplying to the State Government by donation.
- Potential for direct sale to health professionals
- Contact: email@example.com
Charles Oates Distilling (TAS)
- Our latest batch, made from two year old pear brandy and distilled Frequin Rouge juice is up online. Pick up only, from @williesmithsappleshed this Friday and Saturday, 11am – 1pm
Chief’s Son Distillery (VIC)
- Online and pick up distillery door. 200ml $12 250ml spray pack $20 500ml $24 Bulk orders available at $28/litre. Orders to firstname.lastname@example.org
Corowa Whiskey and Chocolate Factory (NSW)
- $15 for 250ml bottle and 125ml bottles available
Charlie’s of Darwin, (Darwin Distilling Co.) Northern Territory
- Not available for retail sales
- Supply goes to medical, health, first responders and NT Department of Health
Cuprum Distillery (WA)
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Cuprum Distillery is producing hand sanitiser
Darby-Norris Distillery (TAS)
- Darby-Norris Hand Sanitiser: $9/100ml (limit of 3 bottles per transaction)
Dune Distilling (WA)
- Dune Distilling Hand Sanitiser is now available to ORDER ONLINE in 4 packs and delivered direct to your door 🍃 Made from 70% alcohol, glycerin and aqua. Infused with love, eucalyptus and geranium essential oils.
Earp Distilling (NSW)
- #STAYHOME Spray Packs are in!
Each pack contains:
2 x 250mL easy to use spray bottles.
- Price shown excludes shipping (calculated at checkout).
- Our sanitiser is made in accordance with World Health Organisation guidelines for sanitising handrub with 80% ethanol by volume, suitable for use in medical and health services.
Echuca Distillery (VIC)
- Limited availability
- Partnered with Coburn and Reid Pharmacy for sales via them
Finders Distillery (NSW)
- Due to high demand orders are restricted to 6 bottles or less. For bulk order enquiries please contact email@example.com
Fossey’s Gin (VIC)
- 500mls for $50, 200mls for $25
Four Pillars (VIC)
- Limited amounts available to public $40 for 1000ml bottle
Granddad Jacks (QLD)
- Granddad Jack’s Hand sanitiser: $35/L – currently sold out, awaiting further stock
Great Southern Distilling Co (WA)
- 500ml bottles $20 per bottle, available online.
Hartshorn Distillery (TAS)
- Sheep Whey Sanitiser: $30 for 500ml.
- Free shipping Aus wide for orders >$120
Headlands Distilling (NSW)
- Natural Barley San 250ml
Hoochery Distillery (Kimberley WA)
- Local community sales only
Husk Distillers (NSW)
- Husk’s Hand Sanitiser: $10/200ml, limit of 3 bottles per customer
- Free shipping on orders >$80
Imbue Distillery (VIC)
- Available 2 x 250ml hand hygiene rub as part of gift pack of gin $75
Imbibis Craft Distillery. (QLD)
- First release for local community coming soon
Illegal Tender Rum Co. (WA)
- Sales information pending
Joadja Distillery (NSW)
- Hand sanitiser and anything from our bottle shop! Distillery door will be Open from 9am to 5pm Sat & Sun, or purchase online (free local delivery )
Jimmy Rum (VIC)
- Jimmy Rum Hand Sanitiser: $31.50/700ml. 1 bottle per customer.
- Frontline works or urgent enquires on sanitiser please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kangaroo Island Spirits (SA)
- KIS Sanitiser is 80%, well above the WHO guidelines. It is derived from our gin heads and tails, so has that classic juniper aroma to it (although this is definitely not for drinking)! If you would like a bottle for yourself, our friends at @kangarooislandstall (Stall 17, Adelaide Central Markets) are fully stocked with our special KIS Sanitiser, and can deliver within 10km of the Adelaide Central Markets*.
- Alternatively, the Central Markets are also operating a click & collection service on Tuesday and Thursdays via the drive through zone located on Gouger Street.
Karu Distillery (NSW)
- Local community and charity only
Kingscross Distillery (NSW)
- KXD Hand Sanitizer at the special introductory price of $20.50 75% Alcohol
Knocklofty Spirits (Tasmania)
- Production pending
- Because we make our own ethanol the amount we can produce is limited, so the majority of our production will be donated to local charities.
Lark Distillery (TAS)
- Sanitiser REFILLS are now available to the general public at our @larkdistillery Cellar Door!Please note: MAX 500ml per person per day. Please bring your own container to fill; at this stage, we only have large format to fill from.⠀We’re still prioritising emergency services with bulk orders, but we’re trying to do everything we can to produce enough for all and spread the love a little. We’ll be offering these refills for as long as we have stock, and just ask that you please be respectful of our staff and other customers when coming in for a refill. Don’t forget to bring your bottle: spray bottles are ideal as our sanitiser is liquid, but we can still fill pumps and bottles too.⠀⠀
Lord Byron Distillery (NSW)
- Lord Byron Hand Sanitiser: $2.00/50ml or free with premium spirit purchase
Lord Howe Distilling Co (NSW)
- Officially our highest alcohol % product ever at 75%, but this one is strictly for the hands. Based on the WHO recipe we’ve added some Aloe Vera just to make sure your drink holding paws are taken care of. Available for pre-order via our online store only and LHI soon. $15 for a 250ml bottle. Like any of our products, a part of each sale contributes to the protection of the unique natural heritage of Lord Howe Island.
Margaret River Distillery (WA)
- We now have hand sanitiser available to purchase, with pick up from Margaret River Distilling Company. Just $20 for 500ml, or we have bulk sizes available Please email email@example.com to place an order, and we will organise payment and pick up times.
Manly Spirits (NSW)
- 10 x 100mls for $75
- Currently sold out but new release date shown and able to get email reminder
Metcalf Distilling (TAS)
- 100ml bottles for sale online
Milton Distillery (QLD)
- Accepting pre-orders.
Mobius Distilling (NSW)
- Please contact sales team directly for Hy-Gin-Ic 250ml bottles
Moreton Distillery (QLD)
- We’re excited to announce a very limited pre-release of our liquid hand sanitiser! On sale now, exclusively to Brisbane, Gold Coast and Tweed Coast customers.
- Made to the WHO standard recipe of 80% ethanol. Vapour infused with Cinnamon Myrtle and native mint, our sanitiser is hand-made, hand bottled and delivered to your door within 48 hours! Each 700ml bottle is $26.95 including delivery.
- We have just 101 bottles available of our very first product release.
Mother’s Milk Gin (VIC)
- Made using the formulation endorsed by the WHO so it’s strong at 80%. Made to decant into the spray bottle of your choice. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us what size and how many. Limit five per person. 200ml $15 / 500ml $25 plus postage
- Delivery takes about 5 working days at the moment
Mr Black (NSW)
- ‘Love Thy Neighbour’ Hand Sanitiser, $19.95 for 500ml
- Maximum 3 per order. Flat rate $10 shipping nationally. Free shipping over $100.
- For special orders contact: email@example.com
Mt Uncle Distillery (QLD) plus Coral Sea Brewing Company
- Insanitizer. Kills aaaaallll the nasties.
- We’ve produced our first batch of Hospital Grade hand and surface sanitiser in collaboration with @mtuncle and it will be available at the brewery (40 Lake Street, Cairns City) tomorrow from 2pm to 6pm.
- We will have 375ml refill cans available for $20 and bulk enquiries are welcome as we have an ongoing steady supply.
Needlepin Spirits (SA)
- Due to Covid-19 virus and the depletion of a necessary use sanitiser, we at @needlepin_spiritsdecided to stop production of our spirits and use our stills to make a South Australia sanitiser for the Australian community.
- As per our Needle and Pin ethos, where possible, all products used in our sanitiser are from South Australian businesses, growers and producers.
- 375ml bottle is available to purchase online at needleandpinspirits.com
Ned Whiskey (VIC)
- Available as 2 x 750ml for $40 or 4 x 100ml for $20
Never Never Distilling Company (SA)
- They’ve allocated the majority of our production capacity to supply those that need it most. That’s why the bulk of our Hand Sanny will be made available for South Australian Health Care organisations – for example hospitals, GPs and aged care providers. READ MORE HERE
- If you work in health care or know of an organisation / provider in need within the greater Adelaide area, they can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. They’re only required to send through their name, organisation and provider number to access the online purchase link.
- We’ve made the Sanny available to these organisations in 15L returnable plastic dangerous good containers and contains 80% ethanol to meet World Health Organisation and Australian Department of Health guidelines.
- Some limited stock for the public in 1 litre bottles are available online here.
Newy Distillery (NSW)
- Liquid Hand Sanitiser back in stock. High quality liquid sanitiser, 80% alcohol designed to kill any germs or viruses. Prices (incl GST): 250ml – $17.95 500ml – $30.00 1 Litre – $55.00
- Bulk 5L and 20L containers available – pickup only.
- Pickup available if ordering >1 litres. Message us for details.
- Order online: https://newydistillery.com.au/product-category/shop/hand-sanitiser/
- If you pre-ordered for pick-up, you should have received an email or text from us confirming your order is ready. You can collect it any time we’re open this week: Saturday 10am-6.30pm, Sunday-Wednesday 12-6.30pm, Thursday-Friday 12-8pm.
Newcastle Distilling Co (NSW)
- Teamed up with local pharmacy
- Can email also for larger quantities – email@example.com
Noble Bootleggers Distilling (VIC)
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic Dan & Kris are doing their little bit to help. Following the World Health Organisation’s guidelines for an effective and safe sanitiser, our Hand sanitiser twin pack consists of a 500ml bottle + 100ml refillable glass pump bottle. We are selling the twin packs for $25 + shipping
- *There is a 4 x pack purchase limit per person to make sure as many people as possible have fair access to the product. Available via our website
Noosa Heads Distillery (QLD)
- Sales information pending, please contact directly:
One Drop Brewing Co (NSW)
- One Drop Brewing Co Hand Sanitiser: 200mls for $10
Parrot Distilling Co (NSW)
- Available for purchase through our online store.
Patient Wolf (VIC)
- Patient Wolf Hand Sanitiser: 50ml hand sanitiser free with premium spirit purchase
- Not available for private sale on website.
Poor Toms (NSW)
- Selling at cost price to medical practices in Sydney
- Poor Tom’s Hand Sanitiser: $1.65/100ml, minimum 10L order
- Free 200ml bottle with a purchase of a bottle of gin (limited release)
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Prohibition & Co (SA)
- Prohibition Liquor & Co Hand Sanitiser: not publicly advertised, please contact sales team directly.
Queenscliff Distillery (VIC)
- You can now order our Spirited Handrub on our website and select “Click & Collect” (or get it delivered). Click & collect pick up hours are Monday – Saturday from 12pm – 3pm. For other arrangements, please give us a call 03) 5258 1717
Seppeltsfield Road Distillers (SA)
- For a limited time only (or while stocks last), Seppeltsfield Road Distillers customers will be gifted a complimentary bottle of hand sanitiser with any purchase over $100*.
SevenZeroEight Distillery (WA)
- An agreement has already been made to provide a continuous supply to two nominated Western Australia hospitals at cost.
Silvermoon Distillery (NSW)
- In-Sanity Hand Sanitiser (222ml) 80% alcohol infused with a dash of silver
Stony Creek (NSW)
- Providing to local community only/ medical practioners – not available for retail sales
South Coast Distillery (NSW)
- Local Wollongong sales – pick up only
Southern Wild Distillery (TAS)
- Not only does our Tassie produced hand sanitiser meet WHO guidelines – it looks and smells great too! Our hand sanitiser formulation is a liquid – so it’s quickly absorbed and can also be poured into a pump bottle and used to clean any surface, domestic or commercial. We love the subtle fresh fragrance of our botanicals and our re-purposed 200ml gin bottle!
- Available in 200ml bottles or 20 litre drums for commercial use.
- Order online through our website – www.southernwilddistillery.com – and click on Hand Sanitiser on our home page. Any queries call us on 03 6423 5981
Spinifex Brewing Co (WA&SA)
Summerleas Distillery (TAS)
- Local orders only, 40ml + 80ml pocket size and 5lt for businesses
- contact: email@example.com
- At the moment we are just delivering to Kingston, Blackmans Bay and Leslie Vale so we can avoid charging postage.
Sunny Hill Distillery (SA)
- We finally have our hand sanitiser production up to the level where we have supplied our local YP hospitals, health centers, aged care facilities, business staff and people in high risk categories and are now ready for distribution to the public and businesses to resell.
- We are open for the public to pick up stock between 10am and 4pm daily, ring the number on the front door for service. You can also order on our new website at http://www.sunnyhilldistillery.com.au please note Australia Post are very slow at the moment.
- For commercial inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also get our product down south at @watsacowie brewing company in Minlaton and North at @tastetheyorke in Moonta.
Swan Valley Gin Co. (WA)
- Botanical-based Swan Valley Gin Company hand sanitiser! It’s small batch – mainly due to our lovely 100 litre and 200 litre stills. The 250ml spray is $15, 1 litre refill $45. We’ve even got a gift pack – 2x 200ml Diablo Gins and a 250ml Hand Sanitiser for $65. So you can sip your favourite G&T while cleaning your hands!
Tasmanian Spirit Company (TAS)
- World Health Organization recommended Formula
70% Alc/Vol. Available in 50ml and 500ml options.
- Despite being a small business we are working hard to make our sanitiser as accessible and cost-effective as possible throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It is hard to answer all incoming enquiries so please understand if it takes a little longer than usual to respond.
Tamborine Mountain Distillery (QLD)
- We heard you! 1L spray Bottles and 5L Refill Hand sanitisers are now available for purchase.
Our 5L bottle is available for Local deliveries (Gold Coast and South Brisbane) or pick up ONLY.
- Please CALL 07 5545 3452 or email email@example.com if you like to order.
Threefold Gin (SA)
- 500ml bottle available soon
- Expressions of interest via this link
The Canberra Distillery (ACT)
- Not available for retail sales, supplying to ACT medical professionals and health services.
The Gospel Whiskey (VIC)
- We have been focusing all of our production to supplying medical & frontline services around Victoria, for cost price and will continue to do so as long as needed. We have ramped up production and from today our second release ‘whiskey wash’ liquid hand sanitisers is available for the public in our web-store. Link in Bio
- $3.00 per bottle sold goes to toward supplying meals to out of work hospitality workers
The Grove Distillery (WA)
- FREE 500ml bottle of 75% abv hand Sanitiser with every order over $99. Top shelf Sanitiser manufactured at The Grove Distillery with a beautiful Coconut fragrance.
Timboon Railway Distillery (VIC)
- Details pending
Turner Stillhouse (TAS)
- We are now selling our hand sanitiser online and shipping Tasmania wide (wooo hoooo) 👏🏼👏🏼. Please visit our website for details. This hand sanitiser is made in house at our Tasmanian distillery.
- 50ml – $5.00 / 500ml – $20.00 with a limit of 3 per customer. We will look to ship Australia wide in the future as well so stay posted.
Underground Spirits (ACT)
- Underground Spirits Hand Sanitiser: supplying to ACT medical professionals and health services.
- Retail sales We can now directly help all members of the community by providing our own range of hygiene products.
- Discover mediSPRY, a rapid and efficient hand sanitiser*, available now in 1 litre bottles for AUD $38.50. You can use it anywhere, at anytime, it dries quickly on the skin with no residue
Unicorn Spirits (ACT)
- ACT not available for retail sales, supplying to ACT medical professionals and health services.
White Label Distillery (TAS)
- Not for retail sale, producing for Tasmanian Health Department
Whipper Snapper Distillery (WA)
- Produced in collaboration for City of Perth / WA Government by Fremantle Spirits and Wandering Distillery and Ferngrove Wines.
- Not for public sale
- Kind the Bastard 100ml x 6 bottles $42.00
- Wildflower Hand Sanitiser: $20/500ml
- Limit 3 bottles per customer
Wolf Lane Distillery (QLD)
- Wolf Lane Hand Sanitiser $39.95/500ml
- Limit of 2 bottles per order
Young Henrys (NSW)
- Hand Sanitiser not publicly advertised, please contact distillery directly.