2015 was a vintage year for Australian gins with over 25 new labels released from new or existing distilleries.
A record for Australia I think.
As I’ve surveyed these gin releases I’ve been struck by three things:
- There is a real spirit of supportive collaboration between makers, they understand that all boats can rise together
- Whilst many are solo or duo person operations, they work their tails off to craft a world class product. All I’ve experienced come up to a respectable level of craft and finesse, with some on par with some of the world’s best.
- In true Aussie fashion, they’re all ‘having a go’, and not sitting still. They learn, listen from their market and continue to refine and create new products.
Since then they’ve been working on a classic London Dry style gin, and here it is.
They’ve gone all the classic botanicals with a twist: Juniper, Citrus, Liquorice, Orris Root, Angelica, Coriander, Cardamon and Wattle Seed.
Located outside Hobart in rural Tasmania, on a farm, husband and wife team Rex and Annette Burdon have worked hard to build up their brand and they distil in small batches to ensure there is no drop in quality.
- Neat: Nose is intense and spiced and I picked out the liquorice and citrus, but its all nicely integrated. On the palette its rich and creamy with plenty of heat up front with a residual sweetness.
- Martini: This worked well for me. Although only 40% alcohol by volume (slightly less that many other gins which can land at 42%+) the juniper and other botanicals give the spirit depth and bite. on the palette.
- The spice notes are forward and it leaves a clean finish. This gin could easily handle being a dirty Martini no problem, or a bigger dose of vermouth if you don’t like your cocktail too dry. Its got a personality that lends itself to most cocktail situations.
The Take Home
- A solid and well crafted debut London Dry gin that sits nicely in the middle of the spectrum of Aussie gin flavour profiles, which is what we need in the market I think.
- For me it evokes the old-school classic styles of Beefeater and Tanqueray gins (this is a good thing IMHO) that makes for a very versatile gin that won’t outstay its welcome. 4 stars.
- Available from the Distillery online shop
- RRP: AUD $54.00 plus postage for 500ml bottle
- 40% ABV
Disclaimer: This review was the result of an unsolicited sample bottle provided by the distillery. Views are my own.