You’ll recall a few weeks I had the pleasure of hosting an exclusive dinner at Buvette, Hotel Realm’s French inspired Bistro.
It turned out to be a very successful evening and interestingly, 95% female guests. So there were a few lucky blokes and it was fabulous to see the ladies dressed for dinner in fine style.
I prepared each round of cocktails personally to match the courses and during the evening I introduced the inspiration for the cocktails and insights into the French Gins.
Chef de Cuisine, Fabien Wagnon had created dishes around the Gins, and I then devised the recipes, or modified existing ones, to suit the flavour profiles of his menu.
Happily everything turned out perfectly and by the end of the evening, everyone had made friends, and came away with an appreciation of the finesse of the spirits. The team at Buvette were a pleasure to work with and so professional and caring in the way they looked after our guests and made it possible for me to do my thing.
So here’s the menu and recipes for my cocktails for you to try at home.
Prawn ceviche & ocean trout ceviche, gin foam
- 55ml Diplôme Gin
- 5ml Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
- Stirred on ice, garnish in chilled Martini glass
- Garnished with fresh Tarragon and a couple of drops of Reagan’s Orange Bitters
Angasi oysters, cucumber, ginger & gin
- 45ml Generous Gin
- 15ml Fresh lime juice
- Top with Soda in a Highball over ice
- Lime zest garnish over top and some thin lime slices
Bouillabaisse & gin emulsion
The Buvette – an original creation by myself
- 15ml Fino Sherry
- 40ml Gabriel Boudier Saffron Gin
- 5ml Lillet Blanc
- A few drops of Fee Brothers Barrel Aged Orange Bitters
- Stirred and served on ice in an old fashioned
- Lemon twist garnish
Duck breast & croquette, beetroot puree, gin jus
The Barton– an original creation by myself- a riff on the classic Manhattan
- 30ml Citadelle Gin
- 20ml Maidenii Sweet Vermouth
- 10ml Grand Marnier
- Stirred over ice and poured into a chilled cocktail glass
- A thin Lemon twist garnish
Lavender crème, fennel & gin sorbet
- 5ml G.E. Massenez Creme de Violettes
- 10ml Maraschino liqueur
- 45ml Gin 1+ 9
- 5ml Lemon juice
- Stir Maraschino, Gin and Lemon juice over ice and pour into a tasting glasss with a maraschino cherry garnish, and I added the Creme de Violettes drizzled in to let it settle on top for a striking visual effect.