This is one of my absolute favourite gin from Sweden. Its not only that it’s a great gin, it is, but also the nice bottle, the story and the people behind it that makes it so remarkable.
Stockholm Bränneri is produced in an old Jaguar workshop in the old part Södermalm in the Swedish capital Stockholm. They share the venue with a microbrewery called Modernist Brewery.
It’s the couple Anna and Calle Wikner who is behind the distillery. When they lived in Vancouver, Canada they discovered the trend with micro distillery and back in Sweden they wish to create something similar. In a place in Södermalm shared with a microbrewery, they’ve created an amazing place to stop by for some drinks and beers.
The entire process of produce and package the gin is made by hand. They use organic grain and seven different botanicals – juniper berries, coriander seeds, angelica root, lemon peel, heather, elderflower and rosemary. The beautiful pot still is named ”Fåfängan” after a place close to the distillery, “fåfänga” in Swedish could be translate to “vanity” but it’s also an old name for gazebo.
In this year’s edition of International Wine & Spirit Competition they won three medals, a Silver Medal in the Dry Gin category, a Bronze Medal for Packaging and a Bronze medal in the Gin & Tonic Category.
Besides this, their original gin, they produce a Navy Strength (MW- look out for another review coming soon), a cask aged gin (MW -ditto) and sometimes limited edition, like a ”Neighborhood gin” they created with a neighborhood bar.
For this summer they will release a “Summer gin”. They also do other interesting things and collaborations like a Gin and Tonic-glögg (mulled and spiced wine), chocolate and ice creams flavored with their gin.
- Floral and fresh, clear elements of juniper berries, elderflower and heather.
- Light and fresh at first, elderflower and citrus, then strong juniper. Full rich aftertaste dominated by juniper and elderflower.
It´s a very nice sipping gin.
- With 40% ABV I prefer to keep the bottle in the freezer so the I can keep dilution to a minimum. Combined with Noilly Prat 10:1 and garnish with a twist of lemon.Crisp, vibrant, smoth taste of flowers and juniper. Clean and long aftertaste of juniper and rosemary. I notice the Vermouth in the nose, but hardly in the mouth.
Gin and Tonic
- This is one of my go to-gins when the days are hot and sunny. It´s fresh and with notes of juniper, elderflower and heather. It works really well every time. I like it with Fevertree Elderflower and some fresh strawberries or raspberries, and maybe a vanilla stick or a twig rosemary.
The Take Home
The Gin is presented in a really nice product packed in a beautiful bottle, and the price is almost too low for such a great product. It’s really versatile and I think it works in many different cocktails and still it’s one of my favourite gin to drink neat.
- Website: http://www.stockholmsbranneri.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stockholmsbranneri/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/stockholmsbranneri
- Twitter: No
- Where to purchase: Denmark, Finland, Belgium, Italy, Russia, Japan, Hong Kong. Soon Australia and Austria. See their website here for stockists.
- ABV 40%
- RRP Euro 35.00 approx for 500ml bottle.
Our Guest Contributor